Monday 4 September 2017

Holiday knitting

This summer we had a 2 week holiday on the Islands of Lewis and Harris, off the west coast of Scotland.  Of course it was wonderful.  We booked a cottage that had two rooms and so invited some friends to join us.


I taught Steph how to sew and got her started on her sewing hobby a few years ago and we planned to bring our sewing machines on this holiday for some evening craftiness, but I ended up not having the space to bring mine so decided to knit instead.
Steph was willing to be taught how to knit too so we got her started on some of my 2ply fair isle knitting, but it was too small for her.  So we went to the knitting shop in Lerwick and got some bulky yarn for her to knit a small baby cardi for her expectant sister.

This is Steph learning to knit whilst our husbands are fishing off the rocks down below.  We were waiting for the beautiful sunset, which I included a photo of at the top of this post.

Steph finished it a couple of days later, whilst knitting in front of a fire in the cottage.  She is so proud of her knitting! The pattern is called Wee Fast.

I was knitting a Bousta Beannie for my husband but unfortunately I had run out of yarn so I had to buy a new project to do on holiday.
I ordered some new yarn and was able to finish the hat on the ferry ride home from holidays. Not in time for Colin to make use of it whilst on holiday unfortunately.
This is the new project I started, the Falling Leaves cowl in a dk weight alpaca yarn, whilst knitting in front of a cosy fire, drinking Harris gin. mmm.
This cowl is now finished and I am quite happy with it too.


Knits in the wild

I was able to wear some of my hand knits whilst on holiday too.  
Here are some of my hand knits out in the wild:
Scatness tam whilst on a sea trek tour looking for sea eagles.


Rowe cardigan and Baable hat whilst pretending
to be Claire & Jamie from Outlander at the
Callanish Standing stones.



4 comments:

  1. It all looks very romantic and beautiful , knitting in a Scottish cottage in front of the fire .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a great time - I think I'd benefit from a 1-2-1 Knitting retreat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely holiday you had. I love your Baa-ble hat! That is on my must knit list. :) g

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...