Thursday 5 February 2015

Sewing Studio for Hire

Recently a few other Scottish sewing bloggers decided to meet up again, but instead of shopping and eating (like last time or the time before) we tried out a new sewing-space-for-hire and spent the afternoon sewing and eating instead!

Tucked away in the Charing Cross area of Glasgow is a light-filled sewing studio called The Stitchery.
  

They run some day and evening classes there, but you can also pay just to sit and sew using their overlockers and sewing machines.  Kerry organised a day and time so that we could sit happily together for 4 hours and sew!  We paid a wee bit extra and had a catered lunch too.

There is ample space for 10 sewing machines as well as extra tables and floor space for cutting, lunch and overlocking.

You can also bring along your own machine if you prefer, but it is three flights of stairs to tackle, as Katy can attest to!
see that cardboard box down there?
That's the ground floor!

As I would be using a fancy new machine that I was unfamiliar with, I decided to take along a patchwork task as well as a cut out skirt, and I am glad I did.  I preferred doing some plain, straight stitching as learning about a new machine took a bit more time than I had expected.  Not finished yet, but I will post about what I'm making another time.

It was really nice to catch up with some of the blog writers that I read and to see what they are up to lately.

Hazel who writes Disaster in a Dress, me, and Katy from The Littlest Thistle

Kerry who writes Kestrel Makes and Jen
(If you know Jen's blog, please let me know in the comments)
Elaine from What Diana Did Next, Alison who writes Heavenly Handmades
and Amy from Boldly Gold
Franca from Oranges and Apples took these 3 lovely photos, and unfortunately the other Katy who writes I of the Needle left before we thought much about photo taking at all, but she did come and have a fun time with all of us!

Some of us brought along a few things for swapping, and anything unwanted was left behind at the studio as a gift for any new sewing students.

Sewing with others was a very different experience compared to sewing in silence at home, but the camaraderie and shared interests was really fun and well worth the travel to Glasgow.  Such a difference to talk about the nuances of sewing and the world of sewing bloggers and to be immediately understood.  I would definitely do this again.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely time. I bet you had fun. Well done Katy for organising. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds like you had a great time. Such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds very cool! Do you have room for new people? Even though i don't blog?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was quite fun. Of course there is room for more! Follow Kerry's blog, Kestrel Makes, as that is where any sewing meet ups are announced. Mind you, there must be others, so if I do hear of any other Scottish ones, I'll be sure to post about them here.

      Delete
  4. Shared experiences are the best. It looks as if everyone had a great time. It's great to have such an opportunity to rent a beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Dorothy, I am lucky to have been able to sew along with others, as it's quite a solitary hobby usually.

      Delete
  5. Oh, it looks like you had such a great time. I so so wish I could have joined you. At least if you enjoyed it, you will be likely to want to do it again!!! :) Looking forward to seeing what you made. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It really was a pretty nice way to spend the day Fiona. x

      Delete
  7. What a nice round up of the day, I don't even remember you taking photos as I was so engrossed in sewing :-) Jen doesn't yet have a blog btw, she's in the process of setting one up.

    Look forward to seeing your nautical creation from the swap fabric you got :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like so much fun and a nice little gathering space for a sewing group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so jealous! Not only would I love to attend, but I also (my if I win the lottery dream) would love to set up a space like that - the perfect building is even for sale in my village, shame there's no money to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of fun :) Your pic of the staircase is making me feel tired again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a wonderful way to spend a day! Spending time with others who share your interests is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds perfect! What a great thing to be a part of!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...